Applications are currently being solicited for Program Facilitators for Library Lab, a fun weekend STEM program for children ages 6 to 10 and their families. The Library Lab (LL) program facilitator will provide a 6-session series of school-age STEM programs in designated branches of the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) on May 14, 21, June 4,11,18 and 25 on a fee-for-service basis.
All facilitators must also attend a paid training session scheduled on May 1, 2016. Each facilitator must be willing to travel to their assigned branch, and be available to present programs on the assigned dates. A three-hour commitment is required for each session.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Using the LL curriculum, plan & conduct hands-on STEM programs for children 6-10 years of age & their parents or caregivers.
- Using books and other resources, facilitate scientific inquiry around the concept on which the hands-on activity is based
- Encourage children to build a hypothesis/explanation of the concept and then test it out with the activity.
- Share tips & resourceful information with parents on incorporating STEM in the home environment.
- Provide feedback to Program Coordinator on parent involvement & participation, curriculum, books & materials, and conduct assessment surveys as needed.
- Set up & clean up program materials.
- Gather information & surveys from participants for an evaluation of this project.
- Coordinate with the assigned branch to prepare for the program ahead of each session.
- Communicate regularly with the LL Program Coordinator.
- Report any problems to library staff overseeing the program.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enrollment in or completion of a graduate library or education program desirable, but not essential; experience in STEM instruction strongly preferred
- Experience leading school-age programs with 6-10 year olds
- Knowledge of STEM and basic methods of scientific inquiry
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Fluency in Spanish/Haitian Creole/Cantonese/Mandarin/Bengali/Urdu/Polish/Russian a plus
- Ability to bend, reach, sit and stand as needed
Stipend: $100 per session & $100 to attend the training session.